Tuesday, June 2, 2009




Hastings Community Arts Centre April 2009
Waipawa Museum April 2008


The Flying Wheel Exhibit

This another thing that I have been doing over the last 18 months. Putting together and displaying an exhibit of the racing bicycle in New Zealand and associated memorabilia 1900-1985.

The first show was held at the Waipawa Museum April-June 2008, which was well received.I was then invited to take the exhibit to the New Zealand Cycle Expo 08, which is part of the Taupo Cycle challenge.
Siobhan and I set up the exhibit and looked after it over that weekend, which was a lot of fun.It also gave me the opportunity to see firsthand what non enthusiasts made of all this old stuff. Well to my surprise nearly everyone from all age groups seemed to really enjoy it.

This made me realize that given the right context most people can enjoy and appreciate all sorts of stories from of their collective national history, even if they had never encountered or even thought of it before.I found the experience very encouraging.

Unfortunately the photos from Taupo were lost, so can't show you anything from there.
Next up I held the exhibit at the Hastings Community Arts Centre briefly in April 2009. This time I had more room to spread out, and give the individual exhibits more space the show looked great, and was again well received.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Adrian,

    The estimable David Benson put me onto your blog, and I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed browsing it, thanks.

    I'm also fervently hoping your exhibition will one day make to Wellington so I can look at your impressive collection a lot closer!

    All the best, Oli Brooke-White

    ReplyDelete